The Yorke Peninsula (YP) Art Exhibition was first held in 1999 over the October long weekend and then moved to a biennial event from 2002. Previously coordinated by a Section 41 Committee of the Yorke Peninsula Council, the Exhibition is now coordinated through a Working Party to promote art within our society. The Exhibition expanded in 2018 to include a Sculpture Exhibition at Edithburgh and a Photography Exhibition at Yorketown, as well as the Fine Art category on show at Ardrossan. All entries in the Open Section of Fine Art categories and all Sculpture and Photography entries were available for sale. Local Yorke Peninsula artists who entered the Fine Art Exhibition also vied for the Verna Lock Memorial Award.
The YP Art Exhibition celebrated its 10th anniversary in 2018 over the Easter Long Weekend. The Working Party expanded the exhibition to celebrate a larger variety of art mediums in addition to hosting an inaugural preview event at Ardrossan on the evening of the 28th of March. The Exhibition then officially opened from Thursday 29th March until Sunday 1st April 2018.
The Working Party who coordinated this wonderful event were extremely proud of its expansion in 2018, with all of the funds going back into ensuring the event's success into the future.
The YP Art Exhibition won two SA Great Regional Awards for Art in 2006 and 2008, an Advantage SA Award in 2010 and was admitted into the Hall of Fame in 2010 for recognition “of outstanding achievements and significant contributions demonstrating excellence in regional leadership". Our Exhibition continues to grow and attracts well-known and new artists at both a state and local level whilst also receiving contributions from local schools representing younger artists within the district.
Although our major focus is art, we also strive to attract more tourism by highlighting the Yorke Peninsula as a very desirable holiday location only two hours from Adelaide. Artists make an important contribution to Australian society, the economy, and tourism whilst providing alternative ways to foster regional development.
THE YP EXHBITION WORKING PARTY WILL:
1. Strive to establish a reputation for a high quality Art Exhibition and competition on the Yorke Peninsula.
2. Provide a recognised regular cultural event of excellence on the Yorke Peninsula for the benefit of artists, residents and visitors.
3. Work to attract sponsorship for competition prizes to encourage Yorke Peninsula artists as well as other South Australian artists to enter their work.
4. Encourage tourism on the Yorke Peninsula by providing an event that lures artists, their families and friends and other visitors to come to the Exhibition and to explore the Yorke Peninsula while they are here.
5. Create a platform for local artists to show and sell their work locally.
6. Enable young local artists to enter the school competition and present their work for public exhibition.